I am a firm believer in playing fair, so much so that I even use that philosophy when it comes to my clothing. True story, when I was about 10 years old I packed every single pair of underwear that owned for a one week vacation because I did not want to hurt any of their feelings by leaving them behind. If my parents didn't know then that fashion would be a major part of my life I don't know what more I needed to do. Although I still treat my clothing as if they have feelings and needs (I currently have all of my shoes lined up on my living room so they can "breathe") I have developed a sense of respect and admiration for a few key pieces that I cannot imagine living without. Every closet needs the 5 wardrobe essentials listed in this post. With their addition you will find it exponentially easier to get ready on an everyday basis.
5 Wardrobe Essentials
- Basic Top - A simple, elegant top with enough detail to stand on its own is a crucial piece in any wardrobe. A basic top will always save you in a time crunch. Pair it with a jean, dress pant, short or skirt and you are out the door looking chic and put together. A top like this H&M lace panel tank is an excellent choice, its detail and subdue tone make it the perfect candidate.
- Dark Jean - Whether you prefer a skinny, boot cut or wide leg jean make sure you own a solid dark wash denim. This essential item is sleek and forgiving and can be dressed up or down. Pair it with your basic top and sandal for a day of errands and transition into night with the addition of a sexy heel. A perfect fitting, dark wash jean is an investment and should be a piece you allow yourself to splurge on. Designer denim holds its shape and does not fade nearly as fast as a bargain buy. This Hudson jean will stand the test of time and give the idea of booty a lift thanks to Hudson's signature back pockets.
- Delicate Necklace - An understated necklace ties together a look the instant the clasp latches. I could not live without my David Yurman Initial Necklace. This necklace is perfect for everyday, its classic style yet delicate size complete every outfit without going over the top or causing me to waste time deciding between 3 or 4 other options. It is always the right choice!
- Black & Nude Flat - Black and nude is a favorite color combination of mine, the black provides an all time classic appeal while the nude adds a bit of spunk and style to the overall look. Flats are versatile, comfortable and adorable! Be sure to snag yourself a pointed toe flat in order to elongate and slim your leg. A black and nude flat can be paired with literally anything for sheer perfection. I currently am rocking a black and nude Adrienne Vittadini flat that I got for a steal at Marshall's but would die for this pair of breathtakingly gorgeous Valentino's.
- Flirty Dress - A comfortable, fun dress can take my mood from blah to bubbly in a matter of seconds! Owning a dress that tugs at your heart strings will take even the most dreadful of days and turn them around. A dress like this 100% cotton check print dress from Asos takes the anxiety out of getting ready in the morning, no matter the occasion. It is perfect for summer parties, Saturday errands, Sunday morning church, work, birthday parties, girl's night and date night! This dress will look great with sandals, stilettos or suede booties, add a cardigan or a blazer depending on the event and dress it up or down with diamonds and costume jewelry. This style of dress will change the mood of your closet and eliminate the phrase, "I have nothing to wear."
What in your closet could you not live without? Is there anything on this list that you're missing and need in your closet pronto?